2017 Events and Fees
23rd ANNUAL BARBARA SCHMIDT MILLAR “CELEBRATION OF LIFE” EVENT!
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 17th, 2017
You must be a female at least 18 years of age to participate in the Triathlon Event.
Swim ~ Bike ~ Run
Registration is available at the event!
*$90 starting 9/16
Note: you must be a female 18 years of age or older to participate in the Triathlon Event.
5K Run/Walk Event
Registration is available at the event!
*$40 starting 9/16
Note: you must be a female 13 years of age or older to participate in the 5K Walk/Run Event.
Swim ~ Bike ~ Run
$175 per team*
Registration is available at the event!
*$200 starting 9/16
Note: you must be a female 18 years of or older to participate in the Triathlon Event.
- REGISTER EARLY!
- Space is Limited.
- Teams are welcome.
- Fees required for each individual participant.
- Registration Ends when limit is reached.
- Add a personal donation to your registration fee!
- T-shirt size not guaranteed after 8/31/17.
- Online Registration Ends 9/14/17 @ 11pm.**
- Event Registration Available at the Expo Event and on RACE DAY!
**Registration Note: Even though online registration ends on 9/14/17, Manual Registration will still be accepted at the Event Expo Saturday 9/16/17 from 11:00am-2:00pm; as well as Race Day Sunday 9/17/17 from 7:00-8:30am.
The Barbara Schmidt Millar Celebration of Life Triathlon is a women’s only sprint triathlon for those 18 years and older. Hosted on the third Sunday in September at Scott’s Flat Lake in Nevada City, 100 percent of the proceeds from this benefit event go to breast health care and diagnosis at Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital. The 23rd annual “Triathlon” event for 2017 will embrace the strength and perseverance of women. The triathlon event includes a 1/2 mile swim, 11 mile bike ride and a 3.1 mile run to the finish line. There is an option for teams to participate in the Triathlon. Along with the Triathlon Event, there will be a 5K Run/Walk which is open to females 13 years of age or older.
Collect Donations and make a difference!
The Barbara Schmidt Millar “Celebration of Life” annual event symbolizes the true spirit of the power of women and the promotion of women’s overall health. Although not required, participants are encouraged to collect donations from their family, friends, and neighbors to further support the fight against breast cancer. (All Donations must be accompanied by a donation form ~ download here)
100% of the net proceeds of this event benefit the SNMH Foundation Women’s Imaging Center/Barbara Schmidt Millar Fund of Nevada County and the Barbara Schmidt Millar Memorial Scholarship.
Note: A personal Donation can also be made online by clicking the pink button!
Safety Issues & Rules
2017 SAFETY ISSUES & RULES
- Guest/Spectators (family & friends) are not allowed in the transition area. Wrist bands will be provided and must be worn to collect your bike from the transition area.
- Pre-saving rack space is not allowed. Any equipment in the transition area prior to opening and prior to being body marked will be removed. You may collect your equipment from the Body Markers booth.
- You must be body marked prior to entering the transition area.
- First come-first served for your transition rack space. There is plenty of room, don’t stress.
- All equipment must be placed in the properly designated rack space. No person shall interfere with another participant’s equipment or impede the progress of another participant. Please, no glass containers in the transition area.
- Bike racks are new for 2014. Volunteers will be available in the transition area to help get organized.
- You will have your age marked on your right calf because we are starting the swim in “age groups”. TEAM swimmers will all start in Wave 5, no matter their age.
- Please be VERY careful entering and exiting the lake.
- Each age group wave will wade out into the water waist deep for a “deep water” start.
- When exiting the water, please ask your excited family members to stay out of the designated lane on the ramp. There will be a lot of women coming up the ramp behind or with you who will need to continue to the transition area.
- Wetsuits are permitted regardless of water temperature.
- Swim caps will be provided and are mandatory for safety purposes. Exceptions have been made for latex allergies; please contact our event directors if you have questions – Vanessa Hale; email@example.com.
- Snorkels and swim fins are not permitted.
- Your helmet MUST be clipped before leaving the transition area. No modifications may be made to the helmet. Helmets must be worn at all times while on your bike. Chin straps must be buckled at all times when on a bicycle.
- Do Not Cut Corners.
- Keep to the right hand side of the lane of travel unless passing. DO NOT PASS ON THE RIGHT.
- ALERT – Be aware of the road conditions at all times and ride with extreme caution. Do not ride side-by-side chatting. It is very dangerous for yourself and others riding around you.
- SLOW DOWN before the turn around at Pasquale and Red Dog Roads. Listen to the course monitors. It’s a VERY tight downhill turn.
- When returning to the transition area, riding down Lake Lane, you will be required to slow down and STOP well BEFORE the transition area gate. It is a steep hill. Listen to the course monitors; they are there to maintain your safety.
- CAUTION – Bicycle mechanics will be on motorcycles along the course. They are there to help you if you breakdown or have a fall.
- The bib MUST be worn on the front of your body to be recognized as a “timed” participant.
- Due to safety and permits, the Run Course will close at 11:30am. You MUST be at the corner of Cascade Loop and Spanish Lane by 11:30am, otherwise you will be directed towards the Finish Line.
- Only the runner wears the bib #. The swimmer and biker are body marked
- The swimmer MUST come into the transition area to “High Five” the cyclist in the team’s transition rack space before she can leave the area. Then the cyclist MUST return to the team’s transition rack space to “High Five” the runner.
- PLEASE remain in the transition area until the teammate arrives!
- The bib MUST be worn on the front of your body. Otherwise we will not be able to recognize you as a “timed” participant. Bibs may not be cut or folded or altered in any way. DO NOT transfer your bib to any other person.
- Triathletes, Team runners and 5K Walk/Run participants enter the same chute for timing.
- If you finish & then go back out on the course to run with a friend, DO NOT CROSS THE FINISH LINE A 2ND TIME!
- There will be water, fruit and pastries for all participants.
- Listening devices of any kind: Headphones, MP3, IPod, etc. are not allowed at any time during the race.
- All personal equipment and belongings taken out onto the course must stay on the athlete the entire time. No garbage, clothing, etc. shall be thrown on the course.
- All competitors are required to follow the prescribed course and to stay within all coned lanes. Cutting the course is an obvious violation and going outside the course is a safety issue.
- Except for Lake Lane, all roads are open to local traffic. Please be courteous to homeowners.
- Please respect all parking restrictions and PLEASE, NO DOGS.
- Event is RAIN OR SHINE – NO REFUNDS.
THESE RULES ARE FOR THE SAFETY OF EACH PARTICIPANT.
We hope you understand & appreciate we want this to be a rewarding, safe experience for everyone.
Thank you for your participation and support.
Release of Liability
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
- I acknowledge that the Barbara Schmidt Millar “Celebration of Life” Women’s Triathlon (hereinafter an “Event”) is an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits and carries with it the potential for death, serious injury, and property damage. I HEREBY ASSUME THE RISKS OF PARTICIPATING IN THE EVENT either individually or as a member of a relay team. I acknowledge and agree that it is my sole responsibility to determine whether I am sufficiently fit and healthy enough to safely participate in an Event, and I attest and certify that I am or will be sufficiently fit and physically trained to participate in any Event which I elect to enter. I know that I should consult with medical doctor before participating in this event. If I have NOT done so, I understand that I have assumed the risk of injury that could result and will not seek to hold anyone else responsible.
- On behalf of myself, my executers, administrators, heirs, next of kin, successors and assigns, and anyone else who might attempt to sue on my behalf, I HERBY WAIVE, RELEASE and FOREVER DISCHARGE THE FOLLOWING PERSONS OR ENTITIES (“the Released Parties”), Barbara Schmidt Millar “Celebration of Life” Women’s Triathlon, Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital Foundation, Inc., Sierra Nevada Memorial Miners Hospitals Inc., Dignity Health, Jason Maier Timing, Vanessa Hale, NID, Cascade Shores, all Event sponsors, Event producers, Event staff, administrators, and other governmental bodies and locations in which Events or portions of Events take place, and their collective agents, servants, employees and volunteers, from any and all claims, causes of action, damages, losses (economic and non-economic), and liabilities of every kind, for death, personal injury, or property damage which may arise out of, result from, or relate to my participation in the stated Event, including but not limited to any claims for theft, damage to any equipment, negligence, partial or permanent disability, claims relating to the provision of first aid, medical care, medical treatment, or medical decision (at the Event site or elsewhere), and any claims for medical or hospital expenses.
- I acknowledge and ASSUME ALL OF THE RISKS of running, bicycling, swimming, and participating in all other sports and aspects of any Event in which I decide to participate (collectively, “risks”). I acknowledge that these risks may include dangerous conditions and exposure to potential physical injury or even death resulting from, among other things, vehicles or persons on the race course, falls, contact or encounters with other participants, staff, officials, contractors, vendors, volunteers and spectators, the effects of weather including heat, cold, and humidity, defective equipment and dangerous conditions on the roads. By signing below, I understand that I will be participating in all aspects of the Event at my own risk, that it is ultimately my responsibility to risk participation in the Event and that I am waiving and releasing my legal rights to sue for any injury or damages arising out of or resulting from all such risks. I further understand that these risks I am releasing include injury arising out of the negligence or carelessness on the part of persons or entities defined above as Released Parties.
- I FURTHER COVENANT and AGREE NOT TO SUE any of the Released Parties for any of the claims that I have waived, released, or discharged herein. I AGREE TO INDEMNIFY and HOLD HARMLESS the Released Parties from any and all expenses incurred, claims made, or liabilities assessed against them, including but not limited to attorneys’ fees and litigation expenses, arising out of or resulting from, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, my breach or failure to abide by any part of this Waiver Agreement, and my actions or inaction’s which cause injury or damage to any other person.
I HERBY AFFIRM THAT I AM A FEMALE AND AM EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. “I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS AGREEMENT AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE CONTRACT BETWEEN MYSELF AND THE ORGANIZERS OF THE EVENT AND/OR ITS AFFILIATED ORGANIZATIONS. I SIGN IT OF MY OWN FREE WILL.”
Note that as a participant you may be photographed on race day. Photos may be used for media, marketing or promotional purposes for BSM and the Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital Foundation.
EACH PARTICIPANT MUST ACKNOWLEDGE THIS WAIVER
Event Registration Form
It’s fast and easy to register online. But we understand, if you would rather register by mail. In which case, please download the attached PDF, print, and complete the registration form. Don’t forget to sign the liability waiver!
For more information about registration or information on the Barbara Schmidt Millar 2017 Celebration of Life Event, please contact the Event Director, Vanessa Hale at firstname.lastname@example.org call the SNMH Foundation office at 530.477.9700.